Thursday, October 20, 2011

Mira Schor

I found these essays by Mira Schor interesting to read. I find them very relevant to me, being that I am in art school, especially “On Failure and Anonymity.” It did not however crush my dreams, I have realized the truths of being an artist for a while now, though she explains it so well. I think this essay should be passed out in foundations classes. There is definitely a false pretense of romanticism surrounding the artist. Success is not likely, at least not in the sense of notoriety or wealth. I also found it interesting that she said there will always be failure, no matter if you make money or not, because “the relationship between artist and artwork is one of intimacy with the self, and intimacy is truly terrifying and can never be fully achieved.” I think Schor is very intuitive in this statement, art reflects the person who made it and the artist is constantly fighting himself/herself to make something that they are personally satisfied with, but that will also be received by the public. She also talks of the “anonymous life of the studio” of which I can relate to, it is thrilling to work in one’s studio and forget all else but the art you are creating.

As for the other article, “Authority and Learning” I also found it a good read that got me thinking about the role of the teacher and the possible gender disparities that happen everywhere in society, including in the art world. I do not know that the issues of male dominance and females giving in to stereotype happens quite as much at MCA as it apparently did at CalArts, especially between teachers and students. I do know that individuals still prescribe to culturally constructed gender roles and that it can hurt their artwork, and their person. We as artists need to consider ourselves wholly, and not reflect a falsely created personality. Sexuality, especially, should not be a tool used to garner more success. I believe that if you work reflects so called feminine qualities that it should be because you want it to, not just because you are a woman.

I find Mira Schor to be very thoughtful writer; I would love to experience such an empowered female teacher. She brings up issues that are often times skirted around at art school and she is upfront about the truths while still giving her argument thought and purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment