Friday, February 14, 2014

tofu tacos!







 There is a bar here called mother that serves tofu tacos, and my roommate and I are straight up addicted, so it was only a matter of time before we figured out how to make our own. Luckily it's pretty simple so while they aren't identical they are pretty damn good. Also this is my very first recipe that I didn't copy from someone else! (Well I copied their idea but whatever, you get get it.)

Ingredients:
tortillas of your choice
1 package extra firm tofu
red cabbage (half a head or less)
fresh ginger
broccoli slaw
sweet chili sauce
few dashes of rice vinegar, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, sriracha 

Directions:
Cut up your tofu into around 18 pieces, I like thin rectangles because they fit in the tortillas better. Fry them up in your favorite oil (I use canola) until they are pretty crispy. This is basically the only occasion where I don't add seasoning to tofu because the sauce is absolutely phenomenal and works better if added after the fact. 
Grate/cut up the cabbage in manageably bite size strips, toss with broccoli slaw and grated ginger (add as much as you think you can handle, maybe a teaspoon? more? just go with it) you can add a bit of the vinegars and soy sauce just enough to coat the slaw. I'm not super descriptive because we make this a little different every time, and it's all about personal preference to me.
Now time to doctor up the sauce. This is probably unnecessary since sweet chili sauce is the best thing ever, but I like a bit more kick to it, so I add the vinegars and some sriracha and keep on tasting it until it's so good I want to eat it by the spoonful. 
We prefer to warm the tortillas for a couple minutes, but not until they are crunchy. So once you have crispy tofu, slaw, sauce and warmed tortillas you are all good and ready to pile it up and make a mess. This makes about 6 tacos, but if you are feeding more than two hungry people, you might want to fry up another pack of tofu. So easy! So addictive!


No comments:

Post a Comment