Sunday, November 25, 2012

cider making






A bit ago I went with Rick, a friend, and a ton of apples out to the Irish Seed Savers Association to use their cider press. It's a fairly simple process, cut the nasty bits and stems out of the apples, then throw them in a machine that turns them to pulp. The pulp is wrapped in mesh plastic stuff and layered between wood that has a bunch of holes and is then pressed. It reminded me of paper making quite a bit except you keep the juice not the pressed sheets of apple (which I believe get fed to pigs.) The juice is super tart, but Rick has put it in those glass containers with air locks to ferment. Unfortunately the fermentation process takes a few months so I don't think I will get to taste it, which I admit I am rather upset about.

No comments:

Post a Comment